Monday, January 03, 2011
THE BEST OF 2010 IN 2011
We're back: this is late but fuck you.
Joey's best of:
1. Beach House - Teen Dream (Sub Pop)
It always felt like “Teen Dream” was going to be the greatest: it sounded like nothing else and everything after just wasn’t quite good enough. This record came out very early in 2010 and the whole time I knew it was going to be #1. Thanks BH.
2. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (Def Jam)
Hip hop has never sounded so artfully raw. Yeezy’s promising talent delivered to it’s fullest, creating a sensation and an album demanding to be heard all the way through.
3. Privacy - Songs (Marriage)
“Songs” really sound be the blueprint of the 21st century record: short, sweet and completely on the A-Side. Out in time to leave you begging for more and is sounding even better in this New England winter.
4. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Before Today (4AD)
Another example of example of talent paying off: complete with a backing band (having a drummer from Beachwood Sparks is ALWAYS a sure thing), Ariel Pink’s fucked up pop music hit the mainstream, giving me hope that THIS is what the radio will be playing in 10 years.
5. Harlem - Hippies (Matador)
Like it should be: radical.
6. Personal and the Pizzas - Raw Pie (1-2-3-4 Go!)
This is a collection of singles and what not from Personal and the Pizzas, each song a blast of saucy fun. Still need to cop this on wax, but the tape Burger released of it is still treating me just right, brah.
7. Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest (4AD)
The best show I saw this year was Deerhunter, playing in Northampton, MA with Kurt Vile. I took a friend of mine to the gig and later her boyfriend was a total prick to me. Like it says in “Helicopter”: I keep no company.
8. Lower Dens - Twin-Hand Movement (Gnomonsong)
I’m sensing a theme this year: people who were always great sounding greater than ever before. Jana Hunter’s band was totally slept on, which is stupid because Lower Dens is the realest thing to hit my ears in years.
9. Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me (Drag City)
Looking at “Have One On Me” in iTunes is overwhelming to say the least. Listening to it on the beautiful box set it’s 3 LPs were housed in is ethereal. You tell yourself you’re going to maybe play one side from LP 1, but you always ended up playing the whole thing anyway. And how timeless did it sound? Newsom still proves that she is above everyone and everything while remaining grounded and completely accessible. That’s a dumb sentence, but whatever it works.
10. Sun Araw - On Patrol (Not Not Fun)
OUT OF THIS FUCKING WORLD!!
11. Girls - Broken Dreams Club
12. Casiokids - Topp stemning på lokal bar
13. Purling Hiss - Hissteria
14. Robyn - Body Talk Pts 1-3
15. Ghostface Killah - Apollo Kids
16. Fourth Of July - Before Our Hearts Explode
17. Grinderman - Grinderman 2
18. Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty
19. Moon Duo - Escape
20. Toro Y Moi - Causers of This
21. Ty Segall - Melted
22. Scout Niblett - The Calcination of Scout Niblett
23. Tame Impala - Innerspeaker
24. Zola Jesus - Stridulum
25. Dungen - Skit i allt
The Best Records of 2010
1. The Bear Quartet - Monty Python
2. Grinderman - Grinderman 2
3. Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
4. Ghostface Killah - Apollo Kids
5. ceo - White Magic
6. Dead Prez - Revolutionary But Gangsta Grillz
7. Liars - Sisterworld
8. Elias and the Wizzkids - Just Do It!
9. Woods - At Echo Lake
10. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Before Today
11. Panda Bear - Tomboy/You Can Count On Me/Last Night At The Jetty 7"s
12. Omar Souleyman - Jazeera Nights
13. Das Racist - Shut Up, Dude/Sit Down, Man
14. Atlas Sound - Bedroom Databank, Volumes I-IV
15. The Arcade Fire - The Suburbs