Friday, January 26, 2007

David Vandervelde

MP3: David Vandervelde - Nothin' No
MP3: David Vandervelde - Jacket

I love free cds. Even if they suck. I was at my local independent record store last week picking up the new Berg Sans Nipple (see yesterdays post) and Deerhoof records a smidge early when my friend behind the counter was kind enough to give me a promo of "The Moonstation House Band" from David Vandervelde, released this past Tuesday from the kind folks at Secretly Canadian. He said it sounded like T Rex.

And I agree. This album is straight up rock and roll, nostalgia and good times. The artwork is stunning, the liners simple and recording just the right amount of lo-fi.

The opener "Nothin' No" seems to be a love song full of memories and feelings where Vandervelde belts out "let me tell you baby nothin' no, is going to keep us apart". It's followed by "Jacket", which he told Daytrotter is about "an actual situation about my first girlfriend and her rebellious high school years. She was so hot and never listened to her mom."

{buy david vandervelde recordings on insound}

No comments: