Thursday, July 10, 2008

Albert Hammond, Jr.


MP3: Albert Hammond, Jr. - Gfc

MP3: Albert Hammond, Jr. - Lisa

Sometimes I feel like the only person who is not a Strokes fan. I can stand them, which at the end of the day seems like a feat in itself, but I just never got into jerking off about them: I saved that for other outfits. That said, I like Albert Hammond, Jr. He does some really cool shit on his records and he's got a real ear for sound. Here he is again, in no time flat, with his second LP titled "¿Cómo Te Llama?" and it's a damn good time. While not exactly the summer on the porch record he last delivered to us, it leaves behind laid back for a more solid rock infused approach that is mostly hits. In fact, I'd say the only missed opportunity is the one-two punch of the 7 minute instrumental track "Spooky Couch" and it's follow up "Borrowed Time". Both would've benefited for shorter lengths and to work themselves into each other. Minus those, you've still got yourself 11 songs of audible delight: the single "Gfc" is a great pop song, and "Lisa" gets a littler harder, but never leaves behind it's charm. I've included these 2 songs for your enjoyment.

It's worth a buy for sure. Enjoy the hell out of it, and hope this one stays out of Converse sponsored songs.

"¿Cómo Te Llama?" is out now from RCA.

Bonus videotastic for "Gfc"!

No comments: