Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Elk City

MP3: Elk City - Little Brother

Elk City will be releasing "New Believers" later this month on Brooklyn's Friendly Fire (home of the United States David & the Citizens releases). This is their 3rd release, and while they feature a guitarist from seminal "dream-pop" (I guess) outfit Luna, the album is all rock. Some have been saying it's nostalgic, calling to mind everything from Love, Patti Smith, David Bowie, 60's girl groups and Mazzy Star.

Judge for yourself. I personally don't entirely see it. I think those comparisons kinda of hurt more than help, if you're as let down (not that I'm an uber fan of any of those bands) as I was. Let down, but then surprised by something else unique and wonderful to the pop genre; something rare: quality pop music with a hint of rock flavour.

{preorder elk city's new believers from friendly fire}
{buy other elk city recordings from insound}

No comments: