Sunday, August 10, 2008

Photographic evidence.


Recently, Anti released the album cover for Jolie Holland's upcoming "The Living and the Dead", and it looks excellent as always. She has always put herself on her album covers, mostly in photographs but once in a drawing. The point is I can't imagine seeing some other design without her in it because she has established this trend so well, it's pretty much set in stone.

Most solo artists do put themselves on the cover, and bands get in on the fun too. I'm not sure which I prefer, because a nice photograph can really tell you about who's craft you're listening to and really set the tone, but there is so much wonderful art in the world to be shared. I guess I could go either way, but it depends on the artist. If I were to personally record and release a record, which choice would I make?

What about you? What kind of album covers do you dig on?

No comments: