Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Sun Kil Moon

MP3: Sun Kil Moon - Lily and Parrots
MP3: Sun Kil Moon - Duk Koo Kim

Sun Kil Moon's timeless "Ghosts of the Great Highway" was just reissued this past February on songwriter Mark Kozelek's own Caldo Verde Records.

I never got into the Red House Painters. I remember in high school, my friend Zach would bust them out a couple of times in his car while we were going to band practice or something but it was never anything I was smitten with. When I was out in Portland, my then roommate Ezra gave me GOTGH for my 21st birthday. My car's stereo was stolen at the time so I was listening to all cds with a discman and headphones. I left work early because I was hung over from the birthday celebration and on the way home, this album really got to me. It just complimented the world around me so perfectly that it became an instant favourite in that instant.

I have many great memories around this disc, the greatest involving a beautiful girl and a train. I've posted the one-two punch of tracks 7 and 8. "Lily and Parrots" is a flat out rocker, while "Duk Koo Kim" is slow, building and building to something epic. It's a long one, so be patient with the download/song. And of course, enjoy!

No comments: