Monday, May 14, 2007

The Avett Brothers

MP3: The Avett Brothers - Paranoia In B Major

MP3: The Avett Brothers - Will You Return


I caught the tail end of "Emotionalism" while coming into work a week or so back. Then the Avett Brothers were recommended to me from another co-worker. Their newest lp required listening so I put it on and I haven't stopped since.

For dudes jamming out on acoustic guitars and stand up bass', they sure can rock. The lyrics deal with typical situations that bro's would sing about (girls), but do so in a very telling and poetic way. It's hard not to relate to any of these songs (except "The Ballad Of Love and Hate", which is a little too hokey for my tastes) and many of them seem to borrow from songs of the past so quickly you don't even have enough time to pinpoint what it was from.

Also worth a damn is their ep previous to this, "The Gleam", which I snagged after I discovered this gem. I know you're going to be buying the new Wilco tomorrow and that's all well and good, but if you have a couple of extra bucks, track this down. It's highly recommended from yours truly.

{buy the avett brothers' recordings from echotunes}

No comments: